AACN News—December 2008—Certification
Vol. 25, No. 12, DECEMBER 2008
Q&A: Certified Nurse Manager and Leader Credential
Q. What is the credential for the new frontline nurse manager certification?
A. The credential for the Certified Nurse Manager and Leader is CNML.
Q. When can candidates start testing?
A. Testing will begin Jan. 5, 2009; applications are being accepted now. The first administration to determine the passing point was offered in October 2008.
Q. Do candidates apply through AACN?
A. No. Although AACN is offering this new credential in partnership with AONE, AONE will be responsible for all exam administration activities. AONE has contracted with AMP (the same testing vendor that AACN uses) to process all applications (both online and paper) as well as administer the computer-based testing. Contact information is as follows:
• For inquiries about exam eligibility, test plan and renewal, contact AONE
Phone: (312) 422-2807
Web site: www.aone.org/aone/certification/CNML.html
• For inquiries regarding application status and exam scheduling, call AMP at (800) 345-6559
• To apply online, go to www.aone.org/aone/certification/CNML.html - click Apply online
Q. What are the eligibility requirements for this exam?
A. To be eligible for the CNML exam, a candidate must fulfill the requirements for education/work experience:
Valid and unrestricted license as a registered nurse; and either a
• Bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) degree or higher plus two (2) years of experience (minimum of 1,040 hours per year) in a nurse manager role, or
• A non-nursing bachelor’s degree plus three (3) years of experience (minimum of 1,040 hours per year) in a nurse manager role, or
• A diploma or associate degree plus five (5) years of experience (minimum of 1,040 hours per year) in a nurse manager role
Q. How long is the certification period?
A. The initial certification and renewal periods are valid for 3 years.
Q. What is required for renewal of the certification?
A. Certificants can renew through successful retesting or through documentation of 45 hours of professional continuing education.
Q. How can I study for the exam?
A. Information about the Test Plan is in the Candidate Handbook on the AONE Web site, which also includes a reading list for study resources. Another study resource is the Essentials of Nurse Manager Orientation (ENMO), an e-learning program, also offered through a partnership between AACN and AONE, based on a similar framework as the CNML exam
back to top
Renewal by Synergy CERP Implementation Is Now 13 Months Away
Are you working on your CERPs in categories A, B and C? As of January 2010, Renewal by Synergy CERPs will be the renewal program for CCRN and PCCN certificants. Now is the time to ask any questions. You will need a minimum of:
60 CERPs in Category A
10 CERPs in Category B
10 CERPs in Category C
Plus 20 more CERPs in category of your choice ( A, B or C)
Total = 100 CERPs for the 3-year renewal period
For more about Renewal by Synergy CERPs, visit www.certcorp.org > Certification News > CCRN & PCCN Renewal by Synergy CERPs. Lots of resources are available including a Fact Sheet; PowerPoint slide presentation with narration; the Renewal Handbook; a bookmark with handy references and definitions of categories; and a Quick Reference sheet of common topics and activities that meet requirements in each category.
back to top
Paper and Pencil Exam ApplicationDeadline for TRENDS and NTI
Paper and pencil exams for the CCRN, PCCN, CCNS, ACNPC, CMC, CSC and CNML will be given at the following events this spring:
• Spring TRENDS conference in Philadelphia March 27, 2009. The deadline to submit TRENDS exam applications to AACN is Feb. 6, 2009.
• National Teaching Institute (NTI) in New Orleans May 18, 2009. NTI exam applications are due to AACN by April 1, 2009.
Information about exam handbooks and special applications for these exams is available at www.certcorp.org > Certification News.
back to top