AACN News—February 2009—Chapters
Vol. 26, No. 2, FEBRUARY 2009
Chapter Listserv Hot Topic: Networking Works!
During the past year chapter members have used the Chapter Listserv to network with others about a variety of chapter topics including fundraising, large chapter meetings, Beacon Award application questions, chapter membership payment methods, program speakers, strategic planning, seminar fees, membership drives, conference planning, journal reviews at chapter meetings, nursing students, officer terms, certification, chapter membership recruitment, speaker honorariums, chapter good-standing requirements, regional meetings, point/merit systems, meaningful recognition and student involvement in chapters. With more than 240 chapters, there are unlimited ideas and best practices to share, while developing relationships in the process.
If you’re not already a member of the Chapter Listserv, we encourage you to join this great networking community. The idea sharing will help your own chapter succeed. To join, go to www.aacn.org > Community > Chapter Listserv. Other resources include your Chapter Advisory Team (CAT) and the Chapter Department staff at the national AACN office. Contact your CAT at firstname.lastname@example.org and the national office at email@example.com or toll-free at (800) 394-5995, ext. 365 or 313.
back to top
NTI Rebate for Chapter Members
AACN will again be offering a $75 rebate to chapter members who register to attend the National Teaching Institute (NTI) in New Orleans, May 16-21, 2009. Watch for the Mail-In Rebate Form on the NTI page of the AACN Web site under Chapters.
A few facts:
• The $75 rebate on the NTI registration fee is available to all chapter members.
• Complete the rebate form and attach proof of your chapter membership. (Proof of chapter membership is required because the national office no longer requires the chapters to report their membership list on an annual basis.)
• Submit your rebate application anytime after you receive confirmation that your NTI registration has been processed. You do not need to wait until after NTI. In fact, by submitting it early, it is possible you’ll receive your rebate before NTI.
• Your rebate will be in the same form that you paid for the conference. If you paid by credit card, the rebate will be credited to your card; if you paid by check, the rebate will be ?sent to you as a check.
• We’ll process your rebate as soon as possible, but because we need to process the NTI applications that are also arriving during this time, it may take up to 12 weeks.
• The deadline to submit your rebate is June 15, 2009 (all rebates must be postmarked by this date). This deadline allows us to process all rebates in a timely manner after NTI before the end of AACN’s fiscal year June 30.
Questions? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you at NTI 2009!
back to top
What’s on Tap?
The Sacramento Area Chapter will present “Current Issues in Critical Care 2009” Feb. 26 at Hilton Arden West, Sacramento. For more information, contact the chapter; (916) 851-2902; www.sacaacn.org.
The Broward County Chapter will present “CCRN/PCCN Review Course” Feb. 26-27 at Memorial Regional Hospital Main Auditorium, Hollywood. For more information, contact Sandy Salicco; email@example.com.
The Metropolitan Orlando Chapter will present “CCRN Review” March 14-15 at Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando. For more information, contact Ann Dougherty; (407) 761-2266; firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Northwest Chicago Area Chapter will present “35th Annual Midwest Conference” March 8 at Marriott Lincolnshire Resort, Lincolnshire. For more information, contact Jodi Gunther; (847) 526-5865; email@example.com.
The Chesapeake Bay Chapter will present “Twentieth Annual Symposium: The Future Is Now” March 18-19 at Sheppard Pratt Conference Center, Towson. For more information, contact Karen Droter; (410) 248-9353; firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Greater Kansas City Chapter will present “Beginning 12-Lead EKG” Feb. 10 at St. Joseph Educational Center, Kansas City. For more information, contact Janell Huskey; email@example.com.
back to top
Chapter Leadership Development Workshop
All chapter officers and leaders are invited to attend the 11th annual Chapter Leadership Development Workshop (LDW) at NTI 2009 in New Orleans. The deadline to register is April 30, 2009, and seating is limited.
The LDW is intended to help chapter leadership learn the essential components of successful chapter management, including
• Chapter strategic planning
• Chapter financial planning
• Chapter educational planning
Each chapter that sends at least one chapter leader to LDW will receive a $350 grant from AACN to help offset the costs of attending the workshop (airfare, hotel, etc.). And, the first chapter leader registration received from each chapter is complimentary. Additional leaders may attend LDW for $85 each. Category O or C (Synergy CERP) CNEs are provided for this workshop.
The LDW is scheduled for Sunday, May 17, 2009 at the Hilton Riverside, and includes breakfast and lunch. The deadline to register for the Chapter Leadership Development Workshop is April 30, 2009 (LDW registration is separate from NTI registration). The registration form is available on the NTI Web site under Chapters, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the registration form or for more information.
back to top