CCRN-E Renewal Options and Eligibility Requirements
The Continuing Education Recognition Point (CERP) program encompasses a wide spectrum of continuing education activities performed by acute and critical care nurses. It also addresses the need for formal and informal educational experiences for acute and critical care nurses.
Eligibility Requirements for Renewal
- Current unencumbered licensure as an RN or APRN in the United States is required.
- An unencumbered license has not been subjected to formal discipline during the 3-year certification period by any state board of nursing and has no provisions or conditions that limit the nurse's practice in any way.
- Certificants must notify AACN Certification Corporation within 30 days if any restriction is placed on their RN or APRN license.
- Have passed the Adult CCRN or CCRN-E exam.
- Practice as an RN or APRN is required for 432 hours in care of acutely and/or critically ill adult patients in a tele-ICU or in a combination of tele-ICU and direct bedside care during the 3-year certification renewal period, with 144 of those hours accrued in the last year of the certification renewal period.
- Eligible clinical practice hours are those completed in a U.S.-based facility or in a facility determined to be comparable to the U.S. standard of acute and critical care tele-ICU nursing practice.
- For more details, refer to the CCRN-E renewal policy or the CCRN-E Renewal Handbook.
Option 1 - Renewal by Synergy CERPs
- Meet the eligibility requirements for certification renewal.
- Renewal by Synergy CERPs is obtained by accumulating a total of 100 CERPs, with 70 in Category A, 5 in Category B and 25 in Category C (or, if moving from CCRN to CCRN-E for the first time, 60 CERPs in Category A, 10 each in Categories B & C, plus 20 in the category of your choice).
- All CERPs must be accrued during the 3-year certification renewal period.
- See the CCRN-E Renewal Brochure for examples of topics and activities for each Synergy CERP category and how to calculate and document CERPs.
Option 2 - Renewal by Exam
- Meet the eligibility requirements for certification renewal and successfully complete the CCRN-E exam.
- The CCRN-E Exam Handbook provides exam policies and an application. If renewing by exam, a paper application is required.
Do not apply for more than one option.
- It is not permissible to take the exam early and then attempt to renew by CERPs if you fail.