Inactive status is available to CCRN, CCRN-K, CCRN-E, PCCN, PCCN-K, CMC and CSC certificants who do not currently meet renewal eligibility requirements but do not wish to lose their certification. Inactive status allows certified nurses up to three years from their scheduled renewal date to meet eligibility requirements.
- During Inactive status, you may not use the respective credential but may reactivate your certification anytime during the 3-year Inactive status period, as soon as you meet all of the established renewal eligibility requirements.
- Eligibility requirements must be accrued within a 3-year period with 144 practice hours accrued in the most recent year preceding reactivation. To calculate, count back three years from the date you submit your active status renewal application.
- For example, Mary's certification is due for renewal on November 1, 2016. She applies for Inactive status, which begins on November 1, 2016. She completes several CE courses and acquires the needed CERPs by February 28, 2017, and would now like to reactivate. If she signs and submits her renewal application on February 28, 2017, all eligible CERPs and practice hours would need to have been completed during the 3-year period of March 1, 2014, to February 28, 2017.
- When moving from Inactive status to active status, your new 3-year certification period begins on the first day of the month following when your renewal application is signed.
- You may not hold Inactive status for two consecutive renewal periods.
- Certification will be reactivated upon submission of a completed renewal application and renewal fee. To request Inactive status, complete the first page only of the Renewal Application, select Inactive status and sign and date the form. Apply online or access the renewal application for your certification.
- If you do not reactivate your certification 120 days prior to the end of your 3-year Inactive status, you will be notified by mail and email. Please keep your AACN record updated by notifying AACN of any address or email address changes by emailing email@example.com or calling 800-899-2226.
Inactive Status Fees
|Inactive Status - CCRN, CCRN-K, CCRN-E, PCCN & PCCN-K
|Inactive Status - CMC & CSC
Payable in U.S. Funds. Fees are subject to change without notice.