Courageous Care: AACN's 2015-2016 Theme
“This year’s theme reminds us of the strength that is in each of us,” President Karen McQuillan said as she announced at NTI 2015 that Courageous Care would be AACN’s theme for 2015-2016.
“For us as nurses,” McQuillan said, “Courageous Care means doing what is necessary to provide the best possible care for our patients and their families. Period.”
“We nurses show courage daily,” she said. “We demonstrate Courageous Care each time we step up to advocate for our patients, challenge the way we’ve always done things, gain knowledge to care for complex patients or have a difficult conversation with a colleague who has lost their passion for nursing. We also demonstrate Courageous Care when we recognize our own needs and take the time to renew and recharge ourselves.”
“I challenge us to show the world that we as nurses don’t just provide care for people,” McQuillan explained. “We tend to the needs of patients and their families at the most vulnerable times of their lives. We work to reshape the very face of healthcare and to reimagine the way healthcare is delivered.”
Courageous Care Artwork and Resources
The original art designed by Canadian artist Helen D’Souza illustrates the essence of the theme.
We are happy to provide the theme artwork for your personal use. Here are some suggestions for integrating it into your daily work:
- Ponder the artwork to decide how it relates to your interpretation of this year’s theme. Discuss its meaning with your colleagues and co-workers.
- Use it on printed material such as newsletters, fliers, posters, handouts and announcements.
- Use PowerPoint templates for internal presentations, such as those that promote your chapter/institution’s meetings and events.
- Use approved theme art products from the AACN Online Bookstore to generate revenue for your chapter.
Please be advised that the theme art:
- Must always appear in its entirety and not be modified or altered in any way.
- May be used to promote your local chapter events and activities.
- May not be imprinted on any item (T-shirt, hat, mug, etc.) that will be sold.
- May be used in social media in a posting, but not as an identifier for a chapter, institution or individual (e.g., “profile picture” or “cover photo” on Facebook).
To download the artwork, right click on a link, choose "Save Target As ..." and save to your computer.
2016 Theme Poster – large
2016 Theme Poster – small
2016 Theme PowerPoint Template
Please contact the AACN Marketing team with questions