The ABCDE Bundle: Overcoming Barriers to Implementation
Learning ObjectivesAt the completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the components of the ABCDE bundle and their relevance to optimal sedation management.
- Summarize the barriers to successful implementation of sedation protocols and daily interruption of sedation in clinical practice.
- Identify solutions for overcoming barriers to implementation of each of the ABCDE bundle components.
- Outline the properties of sedatives and analgesics used in mechanically ventilated patients.
- Discuss how evidence-based guidelines can support successful protocol implementation.
Continuing Education Information
This test is FREE to both member and nonmember CE customers
Total Contact Hours:
Critically ill patients requiring mechanical ventilation are frequently prescribed sedatives and analgesics to ensure safety, relieve pain and anxiety, and reduce stress and oxygen consumption. In the anticipated 2012 Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) guidelines for sedative and analgesic use in the critically ill focuses on management of pain, agitation, and delirium. The ABCDE bundle of care is a proposed framework for putting the SCCM guidelines into practice. This presentation will provide an overview of each of the ABCDE bundle components and focus on implementation strategies as well as barriers to implementation. This presentation will empower you to work in collaboration with other disciplines to use creative solutions when implementing and adopting the new SCCM guidelines.
Supported by an educational grant from Hospira, Inc.
You have currently started taking the test for . To continue your test in progress, select Return to Test. To abandon this test select Cancel.