A Community of Exceptional Nurses
Clinical Wisdom and Interventions in Acute and Critical Care: A Thinking-in-Action Approach, 2nd Ed.
A classic research-based text in nursing practice and education, this newly revised second edition explains, through first-hand accounts of the hard-earned experiential wisdom of expert nurses, the clinical reasoning skills necessary for top-tier nursing in acute and critical settings. It provides not only the most current knowledge and practice innovations, but also reflects the authors' vast experience using the first edition in practice and educational settings.
This updated edition includes new interviews from acute care, critical care, perioperative nurses, and more. Attention is paid to current IOM and nursing guidelines for systems approaches to patient safety, with education and leadership implications described throughout. It is an essential resource for undergraduate and graduate nursing educators, students, administrators, and managers seeking to improve systems of care and leadership in clinical practice.
1. Thinking-in-Action and Reasoning-in-Transition: An Overview
2. Clinical Grasp and Clinical Inquiry: Problem Identification and Clinical Problem Solving
3. Clinical Imagination and Clinical Forethought: Anticipation and Preventing Potential Problems
4. Diagnosing and Managing Life-Sustaining Physiologic Functions in Acutely Ill and Unstable Patients
5. The Skilled Know-How of Managing Crisis
6. Providing Comfort Measures for the Critically and Acutely Ill
7. Caring for Patients Families
8. Preventing Hazards in the Technological Environment
9. Facing Death: End-of-Life Care and Decision Making
10. Making a Case: Communicating Clinical Assessments and Improving Teamwork
11. Patient Safety: Monitoring Quality, Preventing and Managing Practice Breakdown
12. The Skilled Know-How of Clinical and Moral Leadership and the Coaching and Mentoring of Others
13. Educational Strategies and Implications
Product Code: 128265
Authors: P. Benner, P. Hooper Kyriakidis, D. Stannard
Learn more about what we have to offer based on your role in the industry.