A Community of Exceptional Nurses
Psychiatric nursing practice has changed dramatically over the past decades to accommodate vast changes in our health care system. The patients who now meet the level of care standards for an acute care setting have to be very ill and typically exhibit considerable behavioral impairments and multiple safety issues. This handbook for psychiatric nurses and nursing students reflects these changes and focuses on four particularly challenging aspects of acute psychiatric nursing practice: keeping the patient safe, stabilizing symptoms, promoting engagement in treatment, and discharge planning. In a systematic, easy-to-access format, the book offers proven, clinically useful interventions designed to modify and manage disruptive patient behavior. Also included is a chapter on overcoming one's own barriers to effective nursing in the difficult psychiatric environment.
This important interdisciplinary clinical resource grew from a forum of Butler Hospital nurses who convened over a two-year period to identify and explore successful interventions used in the inpatient psychiatric acute care setting.
Preface, Linda Damon
1. The Patient with Anger, J Matthew et al., Butler Hospital
2. The Patient with Anxiety, D Heidtman et al., Butler Hospital
3. The Patient with Disorganized Behavior, J Sheehan et al., Butler Hospital
4. The Patient with Manic Behavior, J. Mathew & J. Sheehan, Butler Hospital
5. The Patient with Non-Suicidal Self-Injury, J Kovach et al., McLean Hospital
6. The Patient in Pain, E Blair et al., Institute of Living
7. The Patient who is Paranoid, J. Mathew et al. Butler Hospital
8. The Patient with Substance Use Disorders, K Svendsen et al., Butler Hospital
9. The Patient who is Suicidal, L Espinosa et al., New York Presbyterian Hospital
10. The Patient who is Withdrawn, M Leveillee et al., University of Rhode Island
11. Family Interventions, M Perreira et al., Butler Hospital
12. Medication Administration, J Sheehan et al., Butler Hospital
13. Relaxation Techniques, N Egan et al., Butler Hosp
14. Sensory Interventions, B. Ostrove et al., Butler Hospital
15. Therapeutic One to One, L Drury et al., Butler Hospital
16. Managing Violence, J. Sheehan, Butler Hospital
17. Management of Barriers to Being Therapeutic
Inpatient Psychiatric Nursing
Editors: L. Damon, J. Matthew, J. Sheehan, L. Uebelacker
Learn more about what we have to offer based on your role in the industry.