One of AACN President Clareen Wiencek’s favorite quotes is attributed to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
She says the quote is at the root of AACN’s theme for 2016-2017, It Matters.
We know it matters that we care courageously for the sickest and most vulnerable patients and do it in chaotic and ever-changing health systems
“It matters that we are members or leaders of interdisciplinary teams who are always at the bedside watching, preventing errors and averting disasters.”
Wiencek believes it matters that nurses are the “architect of the memory” for families of patients who experience the crisis of acute or critical illness, and that the end-of-life care they are sometimes called to provide is indispensable.
“We know it matters,” she says, “when we hold the hand of a dying patient and wipe the tears of the patient’s wife … or father … or daughter — or sometimes our own.”
She adds that it also matters that members of the AACN community are bold and relentless in driving change.
“We are nurses,” Wiencek says, “and it matters!”
The original art designed by Canadian artist Helen D’Souza illustrates the essence of this year’s theme.
We are happy to provide the theme artwork for your personal use. Here are some suggestions for integrating the theme into your daily work:
- Ponder the artwork to decide how it relates to your interpretation of this year’s theme. Discuss its meaning with your colleagues and co-workers.
- Use it on printed material such as newsletters, fliers, posters, handouts and announcements.
- Use PowerPoint templates for internal presentations, such as those that promote your chapter/institution’s meetings and events.
- Use approved theme art products from the AACN Online Bookstore to generate revenue for your chapter.
Please be advised that the theme art:
- Must always appear in its entirety and not be modified or altered in any way.
- May be used to promote local chapter events and activities.
- May be used in social media in a posting but not as an identifier for a chapter, institution or individual (e.g., “profile picture” or “cover photo” on Facebook).
- May not be imprinted on any item (T-shirt, hat, mug, etc.) that will be sold.
To download the artwork, right click on a link, choose "Save Target As ..." and save to your computer.
2017 Theme Poster - large
2017 Theme Poster - small
2017 Theme PowerPoint Template
2017 Theme Graphic - Chapter Website
Please contact the AACN Marketing team with questions