Welcome to the Beacon Award for Excellence™
The Beacon Award for Excellence recognizes individual hospital units that distinguish themselves by improving every facet of patient care, and provides a road map and tools to assist hospital units on their path to excellence.
- For patients and their families, the Beacon Award signifies exceptional care through improved outcomes and greater overall satisfaction.
- For nurses, a Beacon Award can mean a positive and supportive work environment with greater collaboration between colleagues and leaders, higher morale and lower turnover.
Any unit where the patient receives principal nursing care after admission can apply for a Beacon Award.
The Beacon Award includes bronze, silver and gold levels so that a unit can chart its excellence journey over time. Beacon Award recipients receive a three-year designation.
Applicants must respond to criteria questions in the following areas:
- Leadership Structures and Systems
- Appropriate Staffing and Staff Engagement
- Effective Communication, Knowledge Management, Learning and Development
- Evidence-based Practice and Processes
- Outcome Measurement
How to Get Started
Ready to begin? Beacon resources and tools will help you start your Beacon journey.