CCNS Renewal Options and Eligibility Requirements
The CCNS Renewal Handbook will provide you with detailed information.
CCNS Renewal Program Changes
Eligibility Requirements for Renewal
- Current unencumbered licensure as an RN or APRN in the United States is required.
- The name and address of your clinical director or a professional associate (RN or physician) who can verify the practice hour requirements must be given.
- Complete one of the following renewal options:
- Option 1 — 1,000 Practice Hours and 150 CE Points
- Option 2 — 1,000 Practice Hours and Exam
- Option 3 — 150 CE Points and Exam
The CE Points program includes programs granting contact hours or CEs, as well as optional activities, such as publications, presentations, preceptorship and volunteer activities.
The Practice Hour requirement includes active involvement in the direct care of acutely or critically ill patients within the U.S., in all roles of the CNS for a minimum of 1,000 hours during the prior certification period. Hours must be in care of the same patient population (adult, pediatric or neonatal) in which certification is held.
For complete information about the CCNS Renewal CE Points program and the Practice Hour requirements, please refer to the CCNS Renewal Handbook.
AACN Certification Corporation may adopt additional eligibility requirements at its sole discretion. Any such requirements will be designed to establish, for the purposes of CCNS certification, the adequacy of a candidate's knowledge and experience in caring for the acutely and critically ill.
View the CCNS Renewal Policy.