Tips for Celebrating Certified Nurses Day
Ideas for Facilities
AACN joins with hospitals and healthcare organizations across the country in celebrating Certified Nurses Day on March 19. Here are some ideas to help you honor, recognize and celebrate certified nurses at your facility:
- Host a breakfast, lunch, afternoon reception or dinner for certified nurses.
- Display signs/banners celebrating Certified Nurses Day.
- Provide gifts/giveaways — such as logo/recognition products, lapel pins, pens, retractable name badges, lunch totes, etc. — with credentials on them for certified nurses.
- Hold a drawing for an AACN gift certificate.
- Start a traveling trophy awarded to a newly certified nurse that is later given to the next certified nurse.
- Give away buttons or ribbons with certification credentials.
- Send a card or email from your administrator or manager to recognize and honor certified nurses.
- Conduct a certification drive or fair to raise awareness about the different certification programs.
- Purchase certification study materials.
Ideas for Ambassadors and Chapters
AACN ambassadors and chapters advance specialty certification and AACN involvement in their local communities. Here are ways that ambassadors and chapters can promote certification:
- Engage managers, educators and advanced practice nurses in recognition activities.
- Incorporate certification recognition into your hospital’s DAISY Awards program.
- Share success stories about certified nurses.
- Give certification a face. Develop a Facebook photo album or online wall of honor.
- Download and post the “Wouldn’t Back Down” ad from www.aacn.org/realnurses.
- Send a personal note or email to certified nurses you know thanking them for their professional dedication.
- Coach certified nurses to identify and talk with colleagues about becoming certified.
- Recognize certified nurses during a chapter meeting or host a special celebration in their honor.
- Invite area hospitals and units to collaborate in your celebrations — or participate in theirs.
- Partner with area chapters of other nursing specialty organizations.
- Sponsor a review course and develop a study mentor program.
- Award scholarships for certification milestones — review courses, exams, renewal during benchmark years, such as 10, 20 and 30 years of certification.
Order Certified Nurses Day buttons using the ambassadors and chapters order forms.
Create a Wall of Honor
Creating a Wall of Honor is a unique way to celebrate certified nurses and nursing excellence. Here are examples of the Walls of Honor created by four hospitals. To learn more about creating a Wall of Honor on your unit, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.