What's New in Program Approval?
Policy & Forms
Before submitting a new application please take a moment to review the updated policy.
All forms have also been revised; please ensure you use forms that have a dated footer titled “Winter 2013 Update”.
Blackout dates for 2014 are February 17 – June 27
Large conferences defined by those having 300 or greater participants by non-AACN organizations with an event date 90 business days prior to or 30 business days following AACN’s National Teaching Institute and Critical Care Exposition® will not be considered for approval.
AACN’s 2014 National Teaching Institute and Critical Care Exposition® will be held in Denver, May 19-22.
Pharmacology Contact Hours
Awarding pharmacology hours is beyond the scope of Program Approval. AACN has chosen not to award specialty continuing education contact hours.
ACLS and PALS Provider Courses
- Contact hours will be awarded to advanced skilled provider courses such as ACLS and PALS for initial certification only.
- Nurses attending these courses to renew their certification will not be eligible for contact hours.
- AACN does not grant CE for the BLS overview portion of the provider courses.
BLS and PEARS Provider Courses
BLS and PEARS provider courses are not eligible for CE.
Contact hours can be awarded for instructor courses including BLS, ACLS, PALS or similar courses.
Ineligible Course Content for CE
There is a new Ineligible Course Content section in the Program Approval Policy.
Courses include but not be limited to:
- Courses which focus upon self-improvement, changes in attitude, self-therapy, self-awareness, weight loss and yoga.
- Economic courses for financial gain (e.g., investments, retirement, preparing resumes, and techniques for job interviews, etc.)
- Courses designed for lay people.
- Liberal arts courses in music, art, philosophy and others when unrelated to patient/client care.
- Orientation programs — orientation meaning a specific series of activities designed to familiarize employees with the policies and procedures of an institution.
- Courses which focus on personal appearance in nursing.
- CPR, BLS, basic EKG/dysrhythmia and IV therapy courses that are similar to those used to certify licensed vocational nurses to start IVs.