Essentials of Critical Care Orientation (ECCO) 3.0
Download the ECCO 3.0 course data sheet (PDF)
Optimize the integration of new nurses into critical care practice with Essentials of Critical Care Orientation (ECCO) 3.0. ECCO 3.0 is an interactive, case-based course designed to orient nurses on critical care basics, offering two learner paths: Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Progressive Care Unit (PCU) tracks. This course is designed as a comprehensive didactic learning experience for any nurse working with acutely or critically ill patients.
The modules cover the diagnostic tools, diseases and disorders, and patient management principles common in the critical care environment. ECCO 3.0 is intended to serve as an integral part of every healthcare organization’s critical care nurse orientation and training. More than 1,100 facilities in the United States and Canada have made the course part of their critical care learning environment.
ECCO 3.0 offers:
- Real-world context and active learning. The course uses an engaging and interactive platform consistent with the actual practice environment. Most modules are four hours or less with opportunities for application, assessment and decision making. Learners check their understanding with reviews, assignment quizzes and module exams.
- ICU and PCU learning tracks. Addresses the clinical knowledge needs of both intensive care and progressive care nurses. Learners can be enrolled in either the ICU or PCU track to ensure they receive content relevant to their practice.
- Global perspective. Body system-specific content is complemented by global content on professional nursing practice that is universally relevant to all patient types.
- Multimedia elements. Rich illustration and animation, click-to-view topics and interactive exercises are used throughout the course to accommodate a wide variety of learning styles.
- Support for site managers and educators. An implementation guide helps educators incorporate critical thinking, hands-on clinical training and blended learning into their orientation programs. A modular approach to course delivery allows educators to tailor learning to the specific needs of the learner and lesson plans.
- Robust management tools. Users’ progress can be tracked through every module, with a variety of reports available.
53 CE Hours for PCU Track
58 CE Hours for ICU Track
ECCO 3.0 contains 18 modules for the ICU track and 17 modules for the PCU track. A case-based approach immerses learners in real-world situations, while interactive elements encourage critical thinking and decision making about patient care. The course offers a safe environment for learners to explore and make mistakes, reinforced with correct decisions and rationale. Learning is reinforced with reviews and quizzes at the assignment level and evaluated with a module exam.
In some cases, the seat time for a learner to complete the course does not match the CE hours provided. CE hours are calculated based on a learner clicking through all interactivities, quizzes and exams with 100 percent of the answers correct. CE hours are not granted for incorrect choices. Estimated seat time is calculated using a formula that estimates 30 seconds per slide, which provides a higher number for seat time, as it includes all of the wrong answer choices. Please allow ample time for your learners to complete the course.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify and implement evidence-based care strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections and complications.
- Demonstrate knowledge of common conditions experienced by acutely ill patients requiring critical care nursing.
- Evaluate assessment data, and determine priority interventions for patients with critical illness.
- Apply an understanding of various monitoring modalities in evaluating patient progress and making patient care decisions.
- Anticipate potential complications, and take steps to prevent them.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of interventions for patients experiencing critical illness.