The Preceptor Challenge
Download the Preceptor course data sheet [PDF].
Precepting is vital to promoting the competence, familiarity, confidence, and security of new nurses in a new environment. Historically, there have been few standardized or universally accepted guidelines for the curriculum that should be included in the preceptorship model.
We created this groundbreaking new course, The Preceptor Challenge, to provide the opportunity for practical application of theory-based precepting practice in a lifelike virtual hospital setting. The highly interactive course is available to nurses working in all patient care areas, and teaches how to apply best practices, and how to identify the rationale that makes these practices "best." This course will teach how to:
- Understand the difference between concurrent roles – preceptor and staff nurse.
- Effectively guide preceptees with different learning styles and levels of proficiency.
- Practice constructive feedback, complete an evaluation and create a learning plan based on the needs and goals of preceptees.
- Walk through essential skills in a simulated environment, test your knowledge as you progress, and be prepared BEFORE day one in your new role as preceptor.
Watch Our In-Depth Preview
Preview The Preceptor Challenge and see how it prepares nurses for the vital role of precepting to ensure the best possible work environments for nurses and best possible care for patients.
The Preceptor Challenge takes the user through three modules designed to familiarize seasoned nurses with their new roles as socializer and educator and equips them with the tools to effectively carry out new additional responsibilities. Using virtual characters in realistic hospital settings, nurses get the chance to apply theory-based practices in real-life interactive scenarios. In this safe, experimental arena, future preceptors will experience successful interactions with four different preceptees to prepare for the unique challenges they will face in their day-to-day work.
Download The Preceptor Challenge Brochure (PDF)
View full Table of Contents
Course Learning Objectives
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of a preceptor.
- Demonstrate best practices in communication skills with a preceptee, staff, and patients.
- Develop and implement a learning plan with a preceptee based on his or her needs and goals.
- Demonstrate understanding of critical thinking skills as supported by current protocols, evidence-based research and best practices.
- Provide constructive feedback and evaluation to the preceptee.