AACN’s Healthy Work Environment initiative is a comprehensive effort to engage nurses, nurse employers and the nursing profession in recognizing the urgency and importance of working together to improve the environments in which nurses work. AACN recommends the following resources in support of creating healthier work environments.
The Center for American Nurses recognizes AACN's work to promote healthy work environments.
Literature and Learning
Healthy Work Environments – Related Resources From AACN
Healthy Work Environments – Related Resources From Other Organizations
- Healthy Work Environments Standards Poster Available for Download and Self-printing
This poster, designed by John F. Dixon, RN, MSN, NE-BC, director of The Center for Nursing Education and Research at Baylor University Medical Center (Dallas, Texas), is being generously shared by this facility. We encourage you to have it printed and post it in your unit.
- SBAR and Healthy Work Environments Standards Pocket Card Available for Download and Self-printing
This pocket card, designed by Linda M. Bay, RN, MSN, ACNS-BC, CCRN, clinical nurse specialist at Clement Zablocki VAMC (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is being generously shared by this facility. We encourage you to have it printed and distribute to staff.
- American Organization of Nurse Executives Healthy Work Environments: Striving for Excellence
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Work Environment for Nurses and Patient Safety
- Hallmarks of the Professional Nursing Practice Environment
- Healthy Work Environments Best Practice Guidelines: Professionalism in Nursing
- Keith Harrell, Attitude is Everything
Attitudes, whether positive or negative, have the power to impact the success of an organization or an individual.
- Eric Klein, The Secret Life of Complaints
The special report for AACN members was written by AACN Healthy Work Environment partner Eric Klein
- International Council of Nurses: Positive Practice Environments: Quality Workplaces = Quality Patient Care Information and Action Tool Kit
- The Silent Treatment: Why Safety Tools and Checklists Aren't Enough to Save Lives – Executive Summary (2010)
- The Silent Treatment: Why Safety Tools and Checklists Aren't Enough to Save Lives – Complete Study (2010)
- Silence Kills: The Seven Crucial Conversations for Healthcare – Complete Study (2005)
- Silence Kills: The Seven Crucial Conversations for Healthcare – Executive Summary (2005)
- TeamSTEPPSTM: National Implementation
TeamSTEPPSTM is an evidence-based teamwork system aimed at optimizing patient outcomes by improving communication and teamwork skills among health care professionals. TeamSTEPPS was developed by the Department of Defense (DoD) in collaboration with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
return to top
The following books have been approved by AACN as part of the Healthy Work Environments initiative. Click on the title to access the sites where these books can be purchased.
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When the Stakes Are High
by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, Stephen R. Covey
- Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations and Bad Behavior
by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler
- Code Green: Money-Driven Hospitals and the Dismantling of Nursing
by Dana Beth Weinberg, Suzanne Gordon
- From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know and Must Communicate to the Public
by Bernice Buresh, Suzanne Gordon, Mary Ellen Jeans, Patricia Benner
- You Are the Leader You've Been Waiting For – Enjoying High Performance and High Fulfillment at Work
by Eric Klein
- Trust and Betrayal in the Workplace: Building Effective Relationships in Your Organization
by Dennis S. Reina and Michelle L. Reina
AACN Advanced Critical Care
American Journal of Critical Care
Critical Care Nurse
Poster Presentations from AACN's National Teaching Institute
2009 NTI Creative Solutions Poster Presentations
return to top
2008 NTI Creative Solutions Poster Presentations
2007 NTI Creative Solutions Poster Presentations
2006 NTI Creative Solutions Poster Presentations
Archived Webinar and Audio Conferences
On January 26, 2005, AACN unveiled "Standards for Establishing and Sustaining Healthy Work Environments" at a national briefing in Washington, D.C. View archived webcast of this event. It will take 20–30 seconds for the webcast to begin.
return to top