Frequently Asked Questions About AACN Membership
Have a question about AACN membership? Chances are it's a question that many others have asked us.
We have posted some of the more frequently asked questions and hopefully the answers will help you learn more about AACN membership.
Find out more about AACN and join or renew your membership today
for less than $7/month!
Who are AACN members and where do they practice?
AACN members are nurses who practice virtually everywhere acutely and critically ill patients can be found — traditional intensive care units, progressive care units, cardiac and surgical units, home health and primary care settings. In addition to being at the bedside, AACN members are on the forefront of research, academia, staff development and management.
What clinical resources are available to members?
We have clinical resources covering a wide range of topics including administrative and regulatory issues, advanced practice, career development, certification, ethics, end-of-life care, legal issues, public policy and research. Best of all, these resources are available in a variety of mediums to meet your needs — Internet-based, CD-ROM, diskettes, books, journals, audio and videotapes, even portable references such as pocket cards and hand-held computerized reference tools.
In addition to published resources, AACN has developed the Practice Resource Network (PRN), which is designed to assist members with their practice issues and questions by directing them to appropriate and relevant resources. This service is just one of the many benefits of membership and can easily be accessed through the AACN website, by email or by phone.
Do I have to be certified (CCRN, CCNS, PCCN, CCRN-E, ACNPC, CNML, CMC or CSC) to join AACN?
This is a common misconception — one that is not true. AACN membership is separate from CCRN, CCNS, PCCN, CCRN-E, ACNPC, CNML, CMC or CSC certification. You have the option to be an AACN member or sit for the certification exam or do both.
The choice is yours. However, as a member you receive discounts on your CCRN, CCNS, PCCN, CCRN-E, ACNPC, CMC or CSC certification and certification renewal fees.
Can I join AACN in my community?
As part of national AACN membership, all members also have the opportunity to join a local chapter in their area. We currently have more than 235 chapters worldwide, allowing abundant opportunities for involvement in local decision-making, networking and enhancement of leadership skills.
AACN – A Value Proposition
AACN is committed to continually reviewing our products, services and benefits to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our members and customers. Additional benefits of membership include:
- Access to the Members Only section of the AACN website, which includes clinical references and the CINAHL literature search database.
- Subscriptions to Critical Care Nurse, American Journal of Critical Care and AACN Bold Voices.
- Discounted $35 subscriptions to AACN Advanced Critical Care.
- Eligibility for a wide range of scholarships, grants and awards.
- Unlimited FREE CE credits for offerings from AACN print journals and the extensive Online CE Center.
- Special member rates for all AACN products and services including discounts to the National Teaching Institute & Critical Care Exposition and on the CCRN, CCNS, PCCN, CCRN-E, ACNPC, CNML, CMC or CSC certification exams
- Professional liability, group term life, major medical, excess major medical, dental, disability income and hospital income insurance programs as well as long-term care insurance available through Marsh Affinity Group Services, a service of Seabury & Smith.