End-of-Life/Palliative Care Small Projects Grant
Two awards are available each year. Each proposal can be funded for up to
The end-of-life/palliative care grant provides an award to a qualified individual(s) carrying out a project focusing on end-of-life and/or palliative
care outcomes in acute and/or critical care settings. A broad range of topics
may be addressed including:
- Bereavement (e.g. family, patient or caregiver)
- Communication issues (e.g. verbal, non-verbal, written, etc.)
- Caregiver needs (e.g., stress, education, emotional support, etc.)
- Symptom management (e.g. nausea, vomiting, pain, anxiety, skin
breakdown, dyspnea, etc.)
- Advance directives (e. g. staff/patient education, program development,
ethical considerations, etc.)
- Life support withdrawal (e.g. ethical/legal concerns, clinical
Eligible projects may focus on any age group (neonatal to elderly) in the
acute or critical care arena. They may include patient education programs, staff
development programs, competency-based educational programs, CQI/outcomes
evaluation projects, or small clinical research studies.
Funds may be awarded for new projects, projects in progress and projects
required for an academic degree as long as all other project criteria are met.
Collaborative projects are encouraged and may involve interdisciplinary teams,
multiple nursing units, home health, subacute and transitional care, other
institutions or community agencies.
Funds may be used to cover direct project expenses, such as printed
materials, small equipment, supplies including computer software. They may not
be used to pay for salaries, speaker honorarium or costs, institutional overhead
nor augment funding from formal large grants.
These questions must be answered for consideration for this grant:
- Describe your project. What is its purpose? What do you plan to do?
- How will your project impact patient care?
- How will your project be implemented? Include a project timeline.
- How will you use the AACN EOL/Palliative Care Small Projects Grant to
support your project? Please include your proposed budget and justify all
- How will you know the project is successful? What outcomes will you
measure and report?