Transitions: August 2013
Events in the lives of members and friends in the AACN community
Send new entries to email@example.com.
Honor or remember your colleagues with a gift to AACN at www.aacn.org/gifts.
- Steve Branham, fellow
- Andrea Brassard, fellow
- Debbie Brinker, award
- Sarah Collins, award
- Tracy Couse, new position
- Patricia Gessner, strategies
- Margaret Glembocki, fellow
- Aline Holmes, appointment
- Barbara Humpert, certification
- Sharon Irving, award
- Katherine Kenny, fellow
- Christine Kessler, fellow
- Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk, fellow
- Cindy Munro, fellow
- Angela Nelson, fellow
- Ann O’Sullivan, award
- Therese Richmond, award
- Anthony Shamoun, award
- Joanne Thanavaro, fellow
- Chris Winkleman, fellow
FAANP Inductees, Members and friends of the AACN community were recently honored as leaders in advanced practice nursing through induction as Fellows of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP).
Joining Cindy Munro, co-editor of American Journal of Critical Care, are Steve Branham, Andrea Brassard, Margaret Glembocki, Katherine Kenny, Christine Kessler, Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk, Angela Nelson, Joanne Thanavaro and Chris Winkleman among 60 fellows inducted during the AANP 28th National Conference in Las Vegas.
AANP information says the fellows program was established in 2000 to recognize nurse practitioner leaders who have made outstanding contributions to health care through clinical practice, research, education or policy. Fellows are visionaries and hold an annual think tank to strategize about the future of nurse practitioners and health care.
Debbie Brinker, clinical assistant professor at Washington State University College of Nursing, Spokane, co-director of the undergraduate program, past AACN president and faculty for AACN’s CSI Academy, receives the Washington State Nurses Association’s Nurse Educator of the Year award, for her contributions to the advancement of nurses and the profession.
Tracy Couse, who has 17 years of healthcare experience, becomes director of nursing services, Lake Shore Health Care Center, Irving, N.Y. She is also past president of AACN’s Presque Isle Chapter, Erie, Pa., and received the Rising Star Leadership Award from the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association.
Patricia Gessner, critical care nurse practitioner, Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, Ill., helped implement strategies to reduce delirium in the hospital’s ICU patients, as noted on NurseZone.com.
Aline Holmes, senior vice president for clinical affairs, New Jersey Hospital Association, Princeton, and past AACN board member, becomes a program director for the New Jersey Nursing Initiative (NJNI). Sponsored by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, N.J., and the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Trenton, NJNI was formed to address the state’s nursing faculty shortage.
|Barbara Humpert, ICU supervisor at William Newton Hospital, Winfield, Kan., and an AACN member since 1983, is profiled in The Winfield (Kan.) Daily Courier for 30 years of CCRN certification.
|The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, presented the following awards at a faculty and alumni event in May:
- Sarah Collins, nurse informatician, Partners Healthcare Systems, Boston, receives the Recent Alumni Award for Clinical Excellence.
- Sharon Irving, the school’s assistant professor of pediatric nursing, and an AACN member since 1990, receives the Dean’s Award for Exemplary Professional Practice.
- Ann O’Sullivan, the school’s Dr. Hildagarde Reynolds Endowed Term Professor of Primary Care Nursing, receives the Dean’s Award for Exemplary Citizenship.
- Therese Richmond, the school’s Andrea B. Laporte Endowed Term Professor of Nursing, earns the Trustees’ Council of Penn Women Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising.
- Anthony Shamoun, chief clinical nurse specialist and neuroscience clinical nurse specialist, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Lebanon, earns the Lillian Sholtis Brunner Award for Innovative Practice in Nursing.
return to top