April - May 2012 Ambassador Update
With NTI right around the corner, this update is packed with information regarding the conference, as well as other educational information and resources for you to share with your colleagues. And regarding NTI, I’ve only scratched the surface on all we have to offer! Be sure to visit the NTI page on our website for complete details. I’m looking forward to meeting many of you in Orlando, where I can personally thank you for all that you do!
Ambassador Program Updates
Schedule Change for Updates
As we bustle around preparing for NTI, we’re adjusting the schedule of updates just a little. As you’ll notice, this update is packed filled for April and May. There will be no update in June, but then you can expect to receive your July update right at the top of the month.
Ambassador Activity Report Under Revision
In order to best assist us in evaluating what information/resources you would find most valuable in your role, we are currently analyzing this survey. You will not be receiving it at the normally scheduled time, but stay tuned for information as we strive to continually improve our processes and find new ways to support you.
NTI – May 19-24, Orlando, Fla.
Ambassador Sessions at NTI
If you plan on joining us in Orlando this year, be sure to block out time to attend the sessions specifically designed for Ambassadors.
- Date: Wed, May 23 3:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
- Speakers: Angela Benefield
- Date: Wed, May 23 4:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Speakers: Mary Zellinger
- Date: Thu, May 24 10:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
- Speakers: Linda Bay
Certification Concurrent Sessions at NTI
Be sure to let all your certified colleagues know about these sessions.
NTI’s Chapter Leadership Development Workshop – May 20
If you or any of your colleagues belong to your local chapter, we hope you will encourage chapter members to attend this NTI preconference designed to provide knowledge to help your chapter achieve its goals.
At last year’s workshop, more than 95 percent of the participants felt that LDW “would positively impact their chapter leadership role” and highly valued the networking time with other chapters and chapter advisors.
Already registered for NTI and need to add LDW to your registration? Call Customer Care at (800) 899-2226.
AACN Leadership Positions
Call for Nominations for the 2013 Election is now open!
This is your opportunity to provide us with the names of potential leaders who you believe would make great contributions to either the AACN Board of Directors or the Nominating Committee. You are also invited to put forward your own name if interested.
Visit the Call for Nominations page on the AACN website for information and to access the nominations form.
- CMC and CSC exam candidates planning to test on or after June 20, 2012 should use the new CMC and CSC Test Plans for study.
- The new test plans have been public online since November 2011.
- Candidates planning to sit for the exam prior to June 20th should use the current test plans in the current CMC/CSC Exam Handbook online.
- Practice CMC Exam Questions Adult (product #200505) and Practice CMC Exam Questions Adult (product # (200605) are now available for purchase in the AACN Online Bookstore.
- These booklets are study tools that contain a compilation of questions to be used in helping you prepare to take the cardiac medicine (CMC) subspecialty exam or the cardiac surgery (CSC) subspecialty exam.
- CMC/CSC buttons are now available for Ambassadors to promote the CMC and CSC credentials.
- Use your online Ambassador Resource Order Form to order CMC or CSC buttons for your certified CMC/CSC nurses.
- Adult-Gerontology ACNPC Competencies now available online.
- New CCNS Renewal Requirements
- Renewing CCNSs (and those newly certified) will now be given a 5-year certification period.
- The fee for CCNS renewal will, however, remain the same.
- For CCNS renewals after January 1, 2014, those renewing by CE Points (Option 1 or 3 below) must complete 150 CE Renewal Points, 25 of which must be in Pharmacology.
PCCN Study of Practice
In early May, AACN Certification Corporation’s 2012 National Progressive Care Study of Practice survey will be sent, via email link, randomly to a select number of certified and noncertified progressive care nurses. This survey provides evidence-based information about current progressive care nursing, which ultimately will inform and update the PCCN Test Plan.
As an ambassador, if you encounter nurses who have been asked to complete this survey, please encourage their participation. Surveys should not be forwarded to others and can be completed in different sessions — but from the same computer.
Introduction to Heart Sounds
Learn to identify normal and abnormal heart sounds to aid in diagnosis by accessing a variety of heart sounds and accompanying visuals.
- Teaches healthcare professionals how to identify normal and abnormal heart sounds to aid in diagnosis
- Features a sound library with visual illustrations of the heart, audio playback with synchronized waveform displays and textual descriptions
- Contains a detailed description of underlying heart sound mechanisms
- Murmur mechanism guide is included
- Runs on Windows 98/ME/2000-XP or Macintosh OS X 10.1
Member Price: $33.25 Nonmember Price: $34.95
The Cardiac Catheterization Handbook, 5th Ed.
This one-of-a-kind handbook again provides step-by-step instructions on what to expect, what to avoid and how to manage complications in the cath lab, with valuable updates on safety requirements, new technology and new techniques.
It takes you through a detailed review of equipment, specific laboratory techniques and lab safety, as well as the limitations, complications and medical-surgical implications of cardiac catheterization and angiography findings. The book's portable size makes it the preferred pocket reference!
Member Price: $66.50, Nonmember Price: $69.95