Chapter Advisory Team Position Description
Purpose and Charges of the Chapter Advisory Team
The Chapter Advisory Team functions as a vital link between chapters and the National office, ensuring effective communication among the AACN Board of Directors, National office and local chapters on pressing issues chapters face.
Advisors are volunteers who have expert knowledge on chapter issues and trends in their regions of the country, and are well informed about what is happening at the National level and how that affects chapters. They directly support chapters and chapter leaders in a number of important ways:
- Advisors serve as an AACN liaison and spokesperson to AACN chapters and leaders in the region, including supporting and being knowledgeable about the AACN key initiatives: the Beacon Award for Excellence, Certification and Healthy Work Environments.
- Advisors establish ongoing mechanisms for communication with chapter officers and leaders within their region.
- Advisors work in partnership with AACN staff to identify individual chapter strengths and needs.
- Advisors develop and mentor local chapter leaders for future chapter and National leadership roles.
- Advisors collaborate with AACN staff to plan the Chapter Leadership Development Workshop held annually as an NTI preconference.
Workload and Timeline
Chapter Advisors serve 2-year terms, with an optional third year. The Chapter Advisors currently being sought will have terms beginning July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2016.
- Must be available to participate in Chapter Advisor Orientation conference call in June/July, 2014.
- Must be available to travel to a Chapter Advisor Orientation meeting.
- This meeting is scheduled for July 18–19, 2014 (subject to change) and will be scheduled for a similar date in 2015.
- Travel expenses will be covered by AACN.
- Must be available to attend the Leadership Development Workshop at NTI on Sunday, May 17, 2015, in San Diego and Sunday, May 15, 2016, in New Orleans. Expenses related to CAT duties are covered by AACN.
- Must be able to travel throughout the region you serve.
- Travel must be justified and approved by the Chapter Specialist, and would occur based on your availability.
- Must be able to participate in three to four conference calls per year.
- Must be able to effectively manage communications with chapters, officers and other key stakeholders.
- The overall workload can range from 8–12 hours per week, depending on the time of year.
Final volunteer selection announcements will be made by mid-April 2014.
- Current AACN membership
- At least one year recent experience as a chapter officer, preferably chapter president
- Knowledgeable in current chapter governance, chapter issues and AACN key initiatives
- Strong communication skills
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the area of work to be accomplished by the group, including currency in acute and critical care nursing practice and awareness of trends in the nursing profession
- Ability to fulfill commitments within agreed-upon timeframes
Regular access to email and the Internet.