Chapter Leadership Development Workshop
Sunday, May 21, 2017, 8 am-5 pm
Marriott Marquis Hotel, Houston
The annual Chapter Leadership Development Workshop (LDW) focuses on critical skills that seasoned and novice chapter leaders need to successfully manage and lead a chapter in fulfilling AACN’s mission.
The Chapter Advisory Team has planned an excellent workshop for chapters that will focus on authentic leadership – one of the Healthy Work Environment standards. The keynote speakers will be:
- Connie Barden, RN, CNS, MSN, CCRN-K, CCNS
AACN Chief Clinical Officer and AACN past president
- Connie will share information about how chapters align with the organization’s strategic plan and why It Matters.
- Teri “TK” Kiss, RN, MS, MSSW, CNML, CMSRN
AACN past president
- TK will teach us about leadership coaching and why It Matters.
The workshop will also include:
- A panel discussion of current and former chapter advisors about their leadership journeys, why they matter and how their chapters helped them.
- Breakout sessions:
- The Basics for New Officers
- Lessons Learned
- Knowing your members’ needs
- Succession Planning
- Skilled Communication
- Authentic Leadership
- Best Practices
- Networking with other chapters throughout the day, including an afternoon networking session.
- Celebrating and recognizing chapters at the annual Chapter Circle of Excellence Awards presentation, during the afternoon session. More information about the awards presentation will be forthcoming.
If you have been considering becoming more involved in your chapter, this is the workshop to attend. It will help build new skills related to chapter management and leadership within healthy chapter work environments.
Don’t miss this unforgettable day of learning, networking and celebration. The LDW is open to all chapter members, officers, leaders and potential future leaders; there is no limit to the number of chapter members who may attend for $110 each. Each AACN chapter that attends LDW will receive a one-time $450 grant to help defray the cost, and we highly recommend that each chapter’s president-elect attend. Houston residents: even if you can’t attend the full NTI, consider joining us just for LDW. Register for class code PC125.
NTI 2017 Host Chapters
Sunday, May 21 – Thursday, May 25, 2017
George R. Brown Convention Center – In the Resource Center
The Houston Gulf Coast, North Harris/Montgomery County, and the West Houston Chapters welcome you to the Annual National Teaching Institute & Critical Care Exposition (NTI). Our boards of directors and members are sure that you will enjoy your stay in Houston.
We hope you will take some time to explore the city. After spending a day full of educational sessions, there's so much to experience at night. Learn more about our great city.
Be sure to stop by the Host Chapter Booth to say hello and pick up your NTI ribbons. If this is your first time to NTI, you’ll want to begin participating in the popular tradition of collecting ribbons that recognize and display your accomplishments — such as chapter member or officer, certifications, years of AACN membership, voting member, plus many others.
We will also be available to answer any questions you may have about our beautiful city. There is so much to enjoy at this year’s meeting. If there is anything we can do to help, please ask. Above all, enjoy your stay!
AACN Local Engagement for Educational & Networking Opportunities
Monday, May 22 - Thursday, May 25, 2017
We encourage all members to attend these sessions on AACN local engagement for educational and networking opportunities:
|Date / Time||Session||Facilitators||Room||Class Code|
|Monday, May 22|
|12:00 –1:15 pm||Chapter Best Practices Roundtable||Andrea Efre, DNP, ARNP, ANP-BC, and Stephanie Ray-Nichols, RN, BSN, CCRN||340||CM75109|
|1:45 –2:15 pm||Exemplar Excitement||Kimberly Uddo, DNP, RN, CCRN, CNE; Amy Ott, BSN, RN, CCRN; Beverly Anne Rainey, BSN, RN, CCRN||340||C60M258|
|Tuesday, May 23|
|11:30 am –12:30 pm||Exemplar Excitement||Kimberly Uddo, DNP, RN, CCRN, CNE; Amy Ott, BSN, RN, CCRN; Beverly Anne Rainey, BSN, RN, CCRN||340||C60M364|
|11:30 am –12:45 pm||AACN Annual Meeting & Open Forum||**All AACN members are invited!||332C||C75M150|
|1:00 –2:15 pm||CPR (Chapter Preservation and Retention): It Matters||Sandy Salicco, MSN, RN, CCRN, LHRM, and Sheryl Gilson, RN, MSN, TNCC||340||C75M115|
|4:15 –5:30 pm||CPR (Chapter Preservation and Retention): It Matters||Sandy Salicco, MSN, RN, CCRN, LHRM, and Sheryl Gilson, RN, MSN, TNCC||340||C75M208|
|Wednesday, May 24|
|11:30 am –12:30 pm||You Matter to AACN: How to Become a Volunteer||Sheryl Leary, PhD, RN, CCNS, CCRN, PCCN; Pamela Bolton, RN, MS, ACNPC, CCNS, CCRN, PCCN; Rebecca Long, RN, MS, ACNS-BC, CMSRN||340||C60M305|
|1:00 –2:15 pm||Ambassador Best Practices Roundtable||To Be Announced||340||C75M129|
|2:45 –3:45 pm||Beacon Journey Roundtable||Michelle Sanchez, RN, BSN AACN Beacon Program Manager||Grand Ballroom B||C60M317|
NTI Chapter Rebate
AACN is offering a $75 rebate to each AACN chapter member who registers to attend NTI in Houston, May 22-25, 2017. Things you should know about the NTI chapter rebate:
- The $75 rebate on the NTI registration fee is available to any current chapter member.
- To apply for the rebate, complete the rebate form and attach proof of your chapter membership.
- Submit your rebate application any time after you receive confirmation that your NTI registration has been processed. You do not need to wait until after NTI. In fact, by submitting early it is possible that you will receive your rebate before NTI.
- You will receive your rebate in the same form in which you paid for the conference:
- If you paid by credit card, the rebate will be credited to your card.
- If you paid by check, you will receive a rebate check.
- If your employer paid your registration with a company check, the rebate check will be sent to your employer.
- Your rebate will be processed as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of NTI registrations that typically arrive during this time, it may take up to 12 weeks to receive your rebate.
- All rebates must be postmarked by June 15, 2017. This allows AACN to process all rebates in a timely manner so it can close out the fiscal year on June 30.