CAUTI Reduction in the Neuroscience ICU

New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center (New York, New York)

CSI Summary

Available only to registered users.

CSI Presentation

Available only to registered users.

CSI Toolkit

Available only to users with a paid AACN membership.

Added to Collection

Project Topic

Preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs)

CSI Participants

Crystalyn Acosta, RN, BSN, CCRN
Maredith Close, RN, MS, CCRN
Eileen Coltrinari, RN, MS, CNRN, SCRN
Angela Panuccio, RN, BSN

Project Topic

Preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs)

Project Goals/Objectives

  1. To reduce the units CAUTI rate and catheter days
  2. To achieve an SIR 1
  3. To develop unit specific protocols for indwelling catheter management and incontinence care
  4. To obtain supplies for optimal incontinence care
  5. To educate staff and implement new policies

Project Outcomes

  1. Among 247 patients audited, removed catheters from 25 percent immediately; set catheter removal timeline for the remaining 75 percent
  2. Reduced indwelling urinary catheter days 26 percent
  3. Decreased the number of CAUTI cases 44 percent over two quarters
  4. These outcomes resulted in actual savings of $55,304, with a projected annual fiscal impact of $110,608.

Sign in to to download the complete presentation and project summary. Not an registered user? Sign up today.

Permission to Reuse Materials
The materials associated with this AACN Clinical Scene Investigator (CSI) Academy project are the property of the participating hospital noted above, not AACN. Requests to use content contained in the CSI team’s summary, presentation or toolkit should be directed to the hospital. We suggest reaching out to the hospital’s Communications, Marketing or Nursing Education department for assistance.

The AACN CSI Academy program supports change projects based on quality improvement methods. Although CSI teams seek to ensure linkage between their project and clinical/fiscal outcomes, data cannot be solely attributed to the project and are estimations of impact.