Product Code: 120563
An Educator's Guide to Humanizing Nursing Education - Grounded in Caring Science
The book is truly a wonderful gift to the profession of nursing education providing a space and roadmap to develop a more caring teacher-student interaction. The environment created by the stress of the pandemic certainly speaks to the need for more caring and humanistic approaches to help mitigate the effects of the moral injury and post-traumatic stress. This book offers nurse educators a path for reflection and strategies to create a more humanistic caring approach to education.
- Delivers an internationally renowned scholars’ perspective on teaching grounded in Human Caring
- Includes exemplars of educators’ lived teaching experiences guided by their caring pedagogical praxis
- Provides examples of students’ lived learning experiences within a caring- teaching environment
- Offers reflective practice exercises for nurse teachers to enhance their caring pedagogical relationships with students
- Provides guided caring artistic activities to promote ways of knowing, doing, being, and becoming in nursing education
- Purchase includes access to the eBook for use on most mobile devices or computers
ISBN #: 9780826190086
Authors: C. Cara, M. Hills, Editor: J. Watson
Book Reviewed by - Julie Miller, BSN, RN, CCRN-K
Critical Care Nurse Vol 41, No. 5, OCTOBER 2021
In An Educator’s Guide to Humanizing Nursing Education, the authors reflect on the nurse educator role and guide nurse educators to use caring values, attitudes, and behaviors as the basis for success in all teacher student interactions.
This book applies human caring to the role of educator to stop the dehumanizing practices in nursing education, such as uncaring behaviors, unethical attitudes, incivility, harassment, bullying, and horizontal and lateral violence. In each chapter, the authors ask the reader to reflect on their way of being and caring as an educator and to seek an alternative way of teaching from the heart as an act of caring.
Although An Educator’s Guide to Humanizing Nursing Education focuses on academic
educators, the concepts and exercises translate to hospital based nursing professional development and may help with the onboarding of new staff. Each chapter addresses different aspects of bringing caring to teaching and provides exercises for self reflection. Case examples in each chapter bring the concepts of caring to life by exploring the effects of caring values, attitudes, and behaviors or the lack of them.
This book is a wonderful gift to the profession of nursing education; it provides a space and road map to develop a more caring teacher student dynamic.
Amid a pandemic, with its risks of moral injury and posttraumatic stress for health care workers, we need more caring and humanistic approaches to educating nurses. This book offers nurse educators a path for reflection and strategies to create a more compassionate approach to education.