Want to stay up-to-date on the latest evidence, practices and trends in nursing but don’t have much time? Take advantage of this one-stop collection of the most popular acute/critical care nursing resources offered by AACN in 2019. We’ve gathered top picks in three categories: CE activities, webinars and recorded NTI conference sessions. From sepsis management, ECMO and PADIS bundle guidelines to violence in nursing and moral distress, you’ll find something to enhance your practice and optimize care of your patients and their families.
Continuing Education Activities
AACN’s CE library contains over 200 activities to choose from. Your colleagues most often selected these five activities to earn continuing education contact hours and CERPs.
- Strategies for the Management of Sepsis - A nurse and two pharmacists co-authored this journal article comparing different fluids for resuscitation, techniques to assess volume status and treatments for refractory hypotension.
- Cardiac Arrest After Cardiac Surgery: An Evidence-Based Resuscitation Protocol - Evidence-based resuscitation differs from advanced cardiovascular life support guidelines. This article reviews a resuscitation protocol that is now standard in the U.S.
- A National Survey on Moral Obligations in Critical Care - Moral distress is considered a precursor to burnout. The article authors identify and discuss frequently encountered ethical situations and opportunities for dialogue about moral obligations.
- Peripheral Intravenous Access: Applying Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice to Improve Patient Safety - As a nurse, you frequently insert peripheral intravenous catheters. Would integration of infusion therapy standards help decrease failure rates? This case study examines management of peripheral IV access in critical care.
- Telemedicine Intensive Care Unit Nursing Interventions to Prevent Failure to Rescue - This journal article proposes a model that supports building and maintaining relationships between teleICU nurses and their ICU colleagues, using systems thinking and complex factor integration.
What is everyone watching? These popular webinars on timely nursing topics connect the dots between conceptual knowledge and practical application. All webinars are free to view, and CE hours are available.
- Guideline Update: Addressing Immobility and Sleep Disruption - If you are striving to integrate processes that promote patient mobility and sleep, this webinar can help. Explore practical application of the 2018 PADIS guidelines, including mobility criteria and sleep disruption mitigation strategies.
- Guideline Update: Bundle Up for Pain, Agitation and Delirium - Do your pain and sedation practices reflect the most current evidence and guidelines? By discussing application of the 2018 PADIS guidelines to your practice, this webinar enables you to improve your patients’ comfort and prevent delirium.
- Leading Within Your Unit: Q&A on Strategies for Success - Yes, you can lead. Whether you are an informal leader or hold a leadership position, this webinar offers practical information and tips for finding collaborators and removing barriers to change.
- Extracorporeal Life Support: RN Management of ECMO Patients -The use of extracorporeal life support (ECLS) in critical care is growing. Do you know the indications for use and how to assess for complications of ECLS therapy? Find out in this webinar.
- Changing Practices: Pain Management in the Opioid Epidemic - Our patients often struggle with pain, both chronic and acute. Managing the various medications to relieve both types of pain requires the strategies presented in this webinar.
NTI Sessions On-Demand
Each year, AACN’s National Teaching Institute & Critical Care Exposition (NTI) features hundreds of learning sessions, encompassing the profession’s hottest and most challenging topics. The following recorded sessions were the most viewed in 2019.
- Protecting Your Practice: Responding to Lateral Violence in the Nursing Profession - Violence against peers, or lateral violence, is all too common in healthcare. This NTI conference presentation provides tools to identify lateral violence, improve negotiation skills in conflicts and intervene for yourself or others when needed.
- Acute Kidney Injury: Devastating and Not So Simple - Early, accurate identification of acute kidney injury (AKI) is key to preventing mortality. Watch this presentation to learn which biomarkers are effective in detecting AKI.
- Addressing Challenging Employees: The 80/20 Rule in Action - Use the tools provided in this presentation to identify challenging employee behaviors and address the employee’s accountability for performance standards – and see how healthy work environment strategies can help you to manage these challenges.
- ECMO for Adults With Acute Respiratory Failure and ARDS - The case studies in this presentation walk you through episodes of hypoxemia, bleeding, recirculation and weaning to help keep your nursing practice up-to-date. Current evidence and technical aspects of ECMO are reviewed.
- Gunshot Wounds to the Abdomen: Assessment and Management of Patient Complications - Moments matter in patients with gunshot wounds to the abdomen. Watch and listen as this facilitator guides you through the care of a patient from resuscitation through intermediate care using evidence-based guidelines.